Social Impact Project
Experience consulting work with a social perspective
The Social Impact Project is a six-week project during the second year of the Master’s in Management (MIM) program. It offers students the opportunity to serve as an economic or management consultant for an organization with specific social objectives, such as a non-profit organization, a CSR department, a social entrepreneurship venture, or a social impact project of a for-profit organization.
As consultants in such projects, MIM students are expected to apply the tools from courses such as management science, economics, finance, marketing, strategy and organizational behavior to guide the decision-making process and increase the likelihood of achieving the desired social impact.
During the project, students develop skills such as leadership, problem-solving, and project management, which are difficult to acquire without guided practice. Unique to ESMT, MIM students are required to use these skills to benefit society as a whole, which is a cornerstone of ESMT’s mission. The Social Impact Project is therefore applied fieldwork with the goal of developing well-rounded, socially conscious graduates.
Examples of recent MIM Social Impact Projects:
- MicroEnergy, Peru - project improving the value chain of mini-grids in rural areas
- United Nations, Kenya - evaluating a current UN Habitat with the goal of improving living conditions in South Sudan
- UNIDO, Ecuador - market research project about fruit extraction and production
- Audi AG, Germany - analyzing the strategy of future sustainability and development projects at Audi
- PwC, Athens - using the success factors of Berlin start-ups to help grow the Greek entrepreneurship scene
- Lotus Fund, Vietnam - impact assessment project for social startup investments
- Micro-energy project in Bangladesh with SOLShare
- Sustainable solar energy project in Madagascar
- Assessing social innovation programs at Deloitte
- Measuring the cost of inaction in developing countries with OECD
- Developing a mobile app for health improvement with Mediteo
- Planning and launching a financial literacy program for high school students at Daimler
UN Habitat mission in South Sudan
MIM students during their Social Impact project with SOLShare in Bangladesh
Rickshaws in Dhaka, Bangladesh
Final presentation for the SIP with Audi in Ingolstadt, Germany
MIM students in Madagascar
MIM students at the Spandau refugee camp helping with setting up new beds and painting walls in a former tobacco factory, which was transformed into a temporary accommodation.
A Social Impact Project team in Vietnam
Students after a successful project completion with Ashoka